The WeMed Award winners were unveiled during a public Award Ceremony in Tunisia on Monday, October 23, 2023.
On Monday 23rd October 2023, the winners of the WeMed Award were publicly announced through an Award Ceremony held in Tunisia.
The goal of this third edition was to identify change makers that have a clear focus and mission aligned with the Green Business Support; Circular Economy, Eco-innovative Entrepreneurship field in the Mediterranean region, within the following categories:
- Business Support Organizations
Winners in the Southern Category
- The winner of the 1st prize in the Southern Mediterranean countries category is Mohamed Mekki Maalej, founder and CEO of IrWise, an agricultural technology startup that provides an innovative solution for managing water resources in the agricultural sector.
- The winner of the 2nd prize in the Southern Mediterranean countries category is Maher Oudira, founder and CEO of GREEN ALAFCO a Tunisian recycling company of aluminum Used beverage Cans (UBC) through the integration of the informal sector of waste pickers and by using a new technological innovation of smart recycling containers developped by their team.
Winners in the Northern Category
- The winner of the 1st prize in the Northern Mediterranean countries category is the entrepreneur Micaela Clubourg. With DCC Platform establishes partnerships with indigenous artisan communities worldwide to create unique fashion products that merge their traditional techniques with modern design sensibilities.
- The winner of the 2nd prize in the Northern Mediterranean countries category is Alessandro Scuderi, Business development manager at Ohoskin, a Sicilian orange and cactus-based coated textile bio-based material that has the feeling of high-quality animal leather but is 100% plant-based and non-fossil.
B) Business Support Organization
The winner of BSO category is the Environmental & Circular Economy Specialist and founder of EcoConsulting Maya Karkour. This sustainability and circular economy consultancy focuses on reworking the relationship between businesses, institutions, industries, municipalities, builders, households and the Environment through greater energy-efficiency, better resource use, pollution mitigation, as well as healthier and circular solutions.
More about the awards
This edition is funded by the ENI CBC Med Programme, as well as the SwitchMed Initiative in the framework of the RESET project: ‘RESults Enabling Transitions: mapping, synthesising and mainstreaming sustainable, green and circular business support achievements in the MED region, for replication and policy-making’.
If you missed the ceremony, you can watch it here:
First part: https://www.facebook.com/injaztunisia/videos/1089135692469795
Second part: https://www.facebook.com/injaztunisia/videos/350529470836398